5 things I learnt being a Grab Food Walker

I tried Grab Food walker for one month and here are 5 things I have learnt:

 

1. Time = Money

Each hour can translate to money to be earned. Why waste your time watching Netflix when you can earn more $ during your free time.  Being a Grab Food Walker or Rider is flexible, you can earn anytime you like.


2. Set a Goal and work towards it

Sometimes I have no motivation to work. Why work under the hot sun and humid weather? 
But I remember I have a goal to achieve so I continued to press on. It's important to have a goal in life so you can work towards it.


3. The ability to earn big = the number or how large the impact of problems you have solved

So for eg. when I deliver a food for a customer, I helped to solve the problem for that customer, who might find it inconvenient to leave his house to buy food, thus I earn around $4. If I deliver food for 10 customers, I solve the problems for 10 customers, and so I earn around $4 x 10 = $40.

Grab on the other hand earn as a middleman, they earn also from the mark up in price on the menu they charged to the customers. For eg. A curry fish head that costs $24 on a restaurant costs $32 on the Grab Food app. It's a $8 profit for them. For each item on the menu, there is a mark up in price.

Imagine 10 customers ordering 1 item each, this will equate to 8 x 10 = $80 profit for them. Grab will pass on $1-$2 to the delivery partners (as what they like to call them) so the delivery riders can earn a decent amount (min. $4 as this point of writing). 

Grab is the winner here. 


4. Ability to scale = Ability to earn big

As a Grab Food walker, I can only serve one customer at a time. So I pick up food from location A, location B, and deliver to customer A, and to customer B. This is limited by my walking speed (or bike speed if you are on bicycle or motorbike), as well as the food outlet food preparation speed.

However, Grab can scale large and fast, as they have the platform to send out 100s of 1000s of orders to restaurants and delivery partners fast, all at the same time. Technology enabled that thus they earn big fast. Grab said their Grab food is not profitable yet, but their ability to scale and their domination in the market is a advantage for them. 


5. Non Soup and non drinks items are easier to deliver

Maybe this is a no brainer, but I see many soup items and drink spill during delivery. Understand that the food outlet would try to pack most things into one plastic or paper bag so that it would be easier for delivery partners to carry, but sometimes they used a small bag and squeezed everything into it. In other times, the drinks and soup are not placed properly, or lid not closed properly and it spilled during the delivery journey. Sometimes during bumpy roads (for bikes and bicycles), the lid of the food container might open and spill. I will try not to order soup or drinks if I order GrabFood, or I just go and dabao myself. :D 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stand behind the yellow line?

Put Chai Ko In Singapore

Factory Outlet Stores of popular brands in Singapore